Do you need a lot of dental work? Have you been putting it off because the thought of going to the dentist fills you with fear? If so, you’re going to love what we have to tell you—conscious sedation can calm your nerves and make your root canal or extraction much more comfortable and stress-free. Not convinced? Keep reading!
What is Conscious Sedation Dentistry?
During conscious sedation, you’re given medication to help put you at ease. It’s ideal for patients who experience fear at the thought of visiting the dentist or for those who need extensive dental work.
Which Patients are Good Candidates for Conscious Sedation?
If you’re reading this, the chances are good that you’re an excellent candidate for conscious sedation. As we mentioned, sedation is great for people who experience anxiety about going to the dentist or require procedures like root canals or extractions. However, those aren’t the only people who can benefit from conscious sedation. Sedation also helps people who:
- Struggle to sit still
- Have a severe gag reflex
- Require a lot of dental work (with conscious sedation, we can often get more done in a shorter period of time)
- Experience tooth or gum sensitivity
- Have jaw, back, or neck pain
What Will I Experience During Conscious Sedation?
Your experience varies, depending on the level of sedation we use. There are 4 different levels of sedation. From the least sedation to the most, those levels are:
- Minimal Sedation – During minimal sedation, you’ll still be awake. However, you’ll feel much more relaxed than you would ordinarily.
- Moderate Sedation – This level of sedation is often what is meant by the term, “conscious sedation.” If you’re moderately sedated, you might slur your words when speaking and not remember very much of the procedure.
- Deep Sedation – During deep sedation, we’ll still be able to wake you, but you’ll be on the edge of consciousness.
- General Anesthesia – When you have general anesthesia, you’ll experience complete unconsciousness.
How Does Cardinal Family Dental Determine My Sedation Level?
We determine your level of sedation by reviewing your medical history, taking into consideration the procedure you’re having done, and discussing your preferences. We want you to be fully informed and relaxed during your dental procedure.
That’s because at Cardinal Family Dental, it’s our goal to make our patients feel comfortable—to treat them the same way we’d treat members of our family. Even better at times, because we’ll never ask you why you left the toothpaste cap off…again.
However, we might remind you about the importance of regular dental checkups! (hint: they’re important because they allow us to keep your teeth clean, screen for oral cancer, and spot potential problems early before they require extensive dental treatment).
Speaking of those dental checkups, it’s easy to schedule an appointment if you’re due for one. Simply click here to access our online appointment request form or call our office at 419.752.9345. We are located in Marengo and offer weekend appointments for your convenience.
* We are currently running a special for new uninsured patients. For just $75, receive a dental exam, X-rays, and cleaning.